Candidates who hold a Bachelor's degree, or who will complete a Bachelor's degree by the start of the admission term, are eligible to apply. Many but by no means all of our applicants also have a Master's degree in English or a related field. Please note that program requirements are identical for those entering with Bachelor's and Master's degrees.
Applicants with previous degrees in majors other than English literature are eligible to apply, although a substantial background in literary/cultural study is recommended.
In general, applicants should have a 3.0 (B) grade point average, or the equivalent, in their undergraduate work.
Applicants will be asked to submit:
- Plan of Study: briefly describe your intended area of study, including a particular subdivision of the major field in which you wish to specialize and specific faculty members with whom you hope to work. Discuss any scholarly research, writing, or similar research that you are working on currently or in the past.
- Statement of Purpose: this is open-ended and gives you the opportunity to tell us more about yourself or discuss another topic that you think would be relevant to your application.
- Three (3) letters of recommendation
- Writing Sample (15-25 pages): any research paper from your undergraduate or masters program or another work that reflects your critical thinking.
- Transcripts from each college attended.
Please note that the GRE is not required.
Applications are now closed for fall 2022 admission.
For more information about graduate program qualifications, visit Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Questions about the graduate program may be directed to Humanities Graduate Admissions: firstname.lastname@example.org.